Today we harvested the rest of our potatoes, cleared out the bed, and planted garlic. I don't think I've ever pulled so much food out of the ground before. We were amazed by the yield of our little 8 x 8 potato patch. This is the second harvest from the patch, pulling out the late variety this time. The yield this year totaled 88 pounds!
Matthew Vigor for mailing us some that you grew from us, after ours dried out. This year we made sure to keep the garlic in an un-glazed terracotta vessel which provides the right balance of air without drying the garlic out. Thank you Wendy and Mikey for the tip. Here, Libby is planting 200 cloves - which will hopefully make 200 heads of garlic by next summer. We started with only a handful of heads last year.
This is the first bed designated for storage crops in our nascent backyard farm. We've used our chickens to remove the grass and fertilize the soil, which makes for a lot less work and expense for us. So far so good! Here's to several more beds in the coming year as we move the coop to a fro.