As I mentioned yesterday, most of our parts for the wagon came from our local ReStore. As you DIY-ers out there know, when you're working with a hodgepodge of used materials, sometimes things get a bit...funky.
Such is the case with the interface between our door and doorknob. The used door already had a hole cut into it for a door knob, but did not come with a knob. A friend gifted us a beautiful antique ceramic knob, but the only fitting we could find for it was an old-fashioned surface-mount variety. We thought that was pretty cool anyway.
Well, this surface-mount door latch thingamabob has turned out to be a challenge in many ways. When we took it to a locksmith to have skeleton keys made for it, we were told they would have to be made by hand. $50 for two keys! We've passed on that for now. Then, when it came time to mount it to the door, we realized that we would have to drill a new hole for the door knob. This left us with a gaping hole where the old knob was. So, determined, we employed an old-school technique for fixing holes in wood:
That's right. A tin can patch. We think the whole ensemble looks pretty weird in a good way. Hope you agree.