When we bought our house, there was a room on the first floor (probably the original dining room) that particularly offended us. The entire room was covered with white and powder blue faux wood grain paneling. You can't see it in this picture, but the paneling went right over the window casings, leaving the sad vinyl windows with no defenses.
Our first hour in the house, we started to rip out this paneling. What was underneath it? Pink wallpaper, and then 9 other layers of wallpaper. It turned into quite the project. We removed the wallpaper with the help of several friends and former housemates. A friend's dad, a plasterer, came and helped us skim coat the raw plaster we found underneath.
|Skim coating in progress.|
The room stayed like this, painted yellow with badly alligatored white trim, for another year and a half or so. When we decided to rent the room out again, we thought it would be a good opportunity to finish up this room for good. So, we scraped the trim. The original intention was to repaint it, because it's pine and was not originally stained and varnished. But after all that work, I couldn't bring myself to cover up the wood again. So, there was more work as we stripped all of the remaining soaked in paint off the trim.
Here's the wood stained, before we painted the room.
Our incoming housemate picked the new room color. It's not something I would have ever picked myself, but I think it looks fabulous.
I'm not sure I've mentioned this on the blog before, but someone painted over all of the oil-painted trim in our house with latex, causing all of the trim paint to fail. It feels SO good to have fixed the trim here. One room down, many more to go.